Thursday, November 27, 2008

My List of (more than) 5 Hot Spots in Brunswick, Melbourne!




Our Wallpaper competition has inspired me to list my favourite hot spots in my old haunt of Brunswick, Melbourne. I couldn't narrow it down so I have 10! If you're ever in Melbourne make sure you check out Lygon Street and Sydney Road in Brunswick. This list is making me very homesick ; (

1. Monk House Design (102 Lygon Street, East Brunswick, Melbourne)
A gorgeous little boutique full of fabulous clothing and accessories by Melbourne designers (see Precious Porcelain - gorgeous porcelain brooches)

2. Sugardough (163 Lygon Street, Brunswick East, Melbourne) 
A beautiful Panificio & Patisserie shop which serves dainty baked goods on vintage china. It smells and tastes delicious!

3. Rumi's (132 Lygon St, Brunswick East, Melbourne)
Lebanese style food. I was first introduced to Persian Fairy Floss here! And even though they are Lebanese they have Turkish Delight - or should it be called Lebanese Delight? Either way it's my favourite!

4. Atticus Finch (129 Lygon Street, Brunswick East, Melbourne)
Sometimes I like to be posh. At Atticus Finch I can sip Tempranillo while snacking on duck pate. You don't get much posher than that!

5. The Alderman (134 Lygon Street, Brunswick East, Melbourne)
The Alderman has a great little backyard for a quiet beer. Or a glass of red in winter by the cozy warm fire. Dogs are also welcome ; )

6. Lulamae (Shop 151 Sydney Road, Brunswick, Melbourne)
A cute boutique run by the sweetest girls on the planet! (I bought a fabulous bright tangerine winter coat here - which unfortunately burnt in my car accident. Luckily when I rang Lulamae they were able to track me down a bright orange one instead! Thankyou!)

7. Thalia Thai (82 Lygon St, Brunswick, Melbourne)
The cheapest and best Thai food around (especially the Pad Thai!) It also has a quirky, friendly chef who waves to you when you come and go.

8. Small Block (130 Lygon St, Brunswick, Melbourne)
Good leisurely breakfast spot (which is a nice way of me saying that the service is really slow) It didn't manage to deter me though as I kept coming back for the Asian pork omelette with chilli jam! I like the vintage petrol signs on the wall as well. I want my walls to look like that too.

9. Gallery 696 (696 Sydney Road, Brunswick, Melbourne)
Run by the lovely Toby and Melika this is a fantastic shop, gallery and art space. You will be introduced to some of the most talented emerging artists around - and you might also find some lovely art to take home (or even a Blanket poster and badges!)

10. Black Hearts & Sparrows Wine Purveyors (131 Lygon St, Brunswick, Melbourne)
Obviously as a designer I base the quality of the wine or beer on the quality of the design on the label. You really can't go wrong here.

If you want to share your list of hot spots make sure you enter our Wallpaper competition!
Email: competition@blanketmagazine.com
(please include in your email your: Name, City and Country of Residence and your list of 5 Hot Spots!)
~Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment